Wednesday 26 December 2012

Inspiration on Christmas Eve.

On Monday, I went to see The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, which was bloody brilliant!!! (We unexpectadly bumped into my good friend MF!) It really inspired me! I know where my novel is headed now. And I think I'll know where I want to stop. Before, I doubted that I knew whether the story would ever be completed and would ever end but, having seen this, I think I have discovered my limit. I don't want to go into such detail (I feel truly silly making up new languages...trust me, I've tried!) but I love having detailed histories, songs and poems.
That night, I got home and had brainwave after brainwave of ideas!

For ages, I had been wondering what race The Dwellers could be. These people live in a large area by the sea. There will be different sections to their land. Port Dwellings, North, South, East and West Dwellings and Common Dwellings. At first, I didn't want these people to be human but there started to emerge the idea that they once were humans.
Anyway, my idea of brilliance was that, once Shalo (the human centre) started to earn a name of disgrace and disgust, other human societies disassociated themselves from the type of creature. So, although they are exactly the same and are actually humans, the Dwellers (and many more creatures from around the globe) will never admit it. To them, they are Dwellers and have nothing in common with human scum.
I thought this was a brilliant idea because it solved my problem of having to create a new type of creature!

I also decided that the map we have so far is no way big enough! I was thinking, for the first novel, the map wouldn't be very big, but it would grow as Malina added her knowledge of the new lands to it. There will be new lands and undiscovered lands learned about in the next book. Annoyingly, I do need to plan the second and third books meticulously for the first book to make sense in accordance with the next two!

On Christmas Day, Mum gave me a Kindle!
Okay, so I've never really agreed with the concept but I've got to accept that I will most likely be publishing my book/s on the Kindle so I've got to get to grips with how it works.
Dad gave me this bloody brilliant book outlining the basics on writing fictional novels. I had a look and it is really useful! Hopefully it will help with me with dialogue and expressing character traits.

I hope everyone had a brilliant Christmas!
M. x

No comments:

Post a Comment