Wednesday 27 June 2012

Research!

Yesterday, I searched the bookshelves in my bedroom and pulled out the ones that may help me with my novel. I cleared a space in my book shelves for these and resolved to go to the bookshelves in the living room to look for a few more.
A few more a bit of an understatement...


I ended up carrying mountains of books on fables, folklore, myths, philosophy, ancient kings, fairy-tales, nursery rhymes and constellations. I even found small dictionaries in Latin, French, Italian and Spanish!
On my recently cleaned for (which looked like a bomb had hit it only a day ago) I now have 2 large mountains of books on my immaculate red carpet floor.
I have spent the rest of my time on my bedroom floor reading through book after book, noting down good names to use, sketching creatures and creating other creatures, noting any ideas created there and then and writing down well-known stories I could incorporate into my novel.
For example:
I could use the African's famous character: Anansi, a spider who is cunning and intelligent and manages to get himself out of tough situations using his intellect.
Or I could use stories like Romulus and Remus and so on.
I have been using stars and planets as names and I've now made a family tree with my character at the head of it.
I feel like I've started to really work on the novel!
Ideas are gathering so fast it's hard to write them all down!
It will be set in an imaginary world with new and old creatures, new lands and names.
It will be about how your parents' reputations and actions hugely affect your own.
These are my only solid decisions so far.
M. x

2 comments:

  1. The best way to become a good writer is to read, read, read. There's a fantastic writing forum at absolutewrite.com/forums if you're looking for a place to talk about all things writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I'll check it out :)
      M. x

      Delete