Tuesday 17 April 2012

Q is for Quote

I thought, seeing as I need to make this post a short one too, I would just post a few inspiring quotes from fantasy authors...
"All fantasy should have a solid base in reality" - Max Beerbohm
"I think one of the best guides to telling you who you are, and I think children use it all the time for this purpose, is fantasy." - Peter Shaffer
"Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can." - Terry Pratchett (The Wee Free Men)
"I always channel my emotions into my work. That way, I know I won't hurt anyone, but myself" - Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games)
Now, I know this is not to do with fantasy, but these are my personal favorites, all from one, outstanding woman:
"Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies."
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to switch on the light."
"In dreams, we enter a world that is entirely our own."
"Indifference and neglect often does much more damage than outright dislike"
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness"
"Never underestimate the powers of obsessive love"
This outstanding woman is, of course, the one and only J.K. Rowling. <3

M. x
P.S. Today I learned not to take what we have for granted.
I watched The Hunger Games movie and The Pursuit of Happiness and both of them taught me how unfairly privileged I am. It kind of annoys me, though I know it shouldn't - I should embrace it and use it as much as possible. But for some reason, I find that I want to test myself - I want to see if I can live in the conditions of District 12, of The Hunger Games themselves. I know this may sound crazy, but I've realised how comfortable I am and how uncomfortable many others are. I feel untested, and, I think, with a bit of courage and willpower, I may be able to achieve things like that - you know, hunting, setting traps, shooting, making fires, making shelters.
I want to test myself, yet I know I'll probably never get the chance.
I feel silly, foolish, even, for complaining about my life. I know there are people out there who have no shelter at all, and I have a room all to myself. Is it stupid to feel so spoiled? Or should I just accept that I'm lucky and move on? I don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment