Sunday 8 April 2012

'H' is for Hippogriff

First of all...Happy Easter!
Don't eat too much chocolate and don't fool yourself into thinking that chocolate doesn't make you feel sick. It does. I've been of choco for lent and, this morning, just the idea of eating so much of the unhealthy stuff made me feel ill. I even got a knot in my stomach as if I was afraid someone would force it down me! No, I'm not anorexic, but I am now neurotic about keeping my skin clean. I used to have terrible skin because of choco, and now that I haven't had any for (7?) weeks, I've got some weird fear that my skin will cloud over and look nasty tomorrow morning. So I'm taking it slow on the choccy. VERY slow.
Anways! Back to the A-Z challenge!



With the same idea as my previous post, my ‘H’ is for Hippogriff. This also connects to my novel project in the same way.
Hagrid: "Easily offended, hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do."
A Hippogriff is a magical creature that has the front legs, wings, and head of a giant eagle and the body, hind legs and tail of a horse It is very similar to another mythical creature, the Griffin, with the horse rear replacing the ion rear. Hippogriffs have cruel, steel-coloured beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs are half a foot long and appear deadly.



 "Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know abou' hippogriffs is, they're proud. Easily offended, hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do. Yeh always wait fer the hippogriff ter make the firs' move. It's polite, see? Yeh walk towards him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed to touch him. If he doesn' bow, then get away from him sharpish, 'cause those talons hurt."
                                                     —Rubeus Hagrid teaches his first class about hippogriffs

When Humans approach Hippogriffs, a proper etiquette must be maintained to avoid danger. Hippogriffs are intensely proud creatures, and an individual must show proper respect by bowing to them and waiting for them to bow in return before approaching. Eye contact should be maintained at all times without a single blink. The Hippogriff should be allowed to make the first move as it's polite. If offended, it may attack. Hippogriffs are tameable, but only by experts in their care. Although proud, hippogriffs can also be fiercely loyal and protective of those who have earned their trust



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling me how to behave when I meet a hippogriff. I think I'll lower my gaze--just in case.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time! I find it fascinating - the brilliant things JK comes up with!

    ReplyDelete